I Love Playing Around With Words!

From my first year of teaching - which was some years ago - I always loved teaching phonics and playing around with words.

Children get so much from rhyming, letter swapping, reading words lists and building word lists.

These simple posters are filled with big opportunities!

    

We use them for reading words with these patterns but we also have lots of fun with them.

Miming Clues

Students can mime a clue for a word and the others try to guess what the word is. Someone might mime eating off a plate for the word plate.

What's My Word?

I like to give students a clue for a word and the students have to guess what my word is. I might say, 'We do this at night.' for the word sleep.

Letter Swap

We also play letter swap where I select a word and ask students to change a letter to make a new word. I might say, 'Change the i in hit to make a new word,' and students could say hot, hut or hat.

There are lots of fun things that you can do with a list of words!

The posters above are from my Short Vowel and Long Vowel Word Work Units but you can easily make your own lists. In fact brainstorming a list of words with a particular letter pattern is another great way to play around with words.

         

2 comments:

  1. I love your posters!! It's perfect for teaching my students word families. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I really hope they enjoy them. These are such valuable activities for little ones!
      Teresa

      Delete